A kidney transplant is a surgical procedure to remove a diseased kidney and replace it with a healthy kidney from another person. Kidney transplants are necessary when the kidneys can no longer function properly on their own.
There are two types of kidney transplants: living donors and deceased donors. Living donor kidney transplants are preferable because the donor kidney is typically healthier and begins functioning immediately.
Deceased donor kidney transplants are also successful, but the donor kidney may not function as well initially.
Kidney transplantation is a complex surgery with many risks, but it can be a life-saving treatment for people with end-stage renal disease. If you consider a kidney transplant, talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits.
Kidney Transplant in India
A kidney transplant in India can be an option for people struggling with kidney failure. In most cases, a kidney transplant is the best treatment option available for people with end-stage renal disease.
Kidney transplants in India can be done at any of the leading hospitals in the country. The cost of kidney transplants in India is also quite affordable compared to other countries.
The main advantage of kidney transplants in India is that they can be done at any of the leading hospitals in the country.
Several hospitals in India are well-equipped with the latest technology and facilities required for a successful transplant. Moreover, the cost of kidney transplants in India is also quite affordable compared to other countries.
Apart from the advantages mentioned above, another advantage of kidney transplants in India is that the waiting time for a transplant is quite less than in other countries.
For example, the waiting time for a transplant in India is only about six months compared to more than two years in some developed countries. Thus, a kidney transplant in India can be an excellent option for people who need a transplant.
The Process of Kidney Transplant in India
- The process of kidney transplants in India is quite simple. First, the patient has to undergo a series of tests to determine whether he or she is eligible for the transplant. Once the tests are done, the patient is put on a waiting list for a suitable donor.
- Once a donor is found, the surgery is scheduled. The donor’s kidney is then transplanted into the patient. The surgery usually takes under general anesthesia and takes about two to three hours.
- After the surgery, the patient is closely monitored for any complications. He or she is also given immunosuppressive drugs to prevent transplant rejection. The patient can typically go home within a week.
- The success rate of kidney transplants in India is quite high. However, it is important to note that the patient will have to take immunosuppressive drugs for the rest of their lives. There is also a risk of developing infections and other complications.
The General Cost of A Kidney Transplant In India
The kidney transplant cost in India generally starts at around Rs. 5-7 lakhs and can go up to Rs. 20-25 lakhs, depending on the hospital you choose and the type of transplant (cadaveric or live donor).
In addition, the cost varies depending on whether you need just the kidney or a combined kidney-pancreas transplant. A rough estimate of the various expenses involved in a kidney transplant is as follows:
- Hospital stay: 2-3 lakhs (approx.)
- Transplant surgeon’s fee: 1-2 lakhs (approx.)
- Anesthetist’s fee: 50,000-1 lakh (approx.)
- Hospital’s transplant coordinators fee: 1 lakh (this is optional)
- Cost of pre-transplant tests and investigations: 30,000-50,000
- Cost of the kidney (cadaveric): 3-5 lakhs
- Cost of the kidney (live donor): 5-7 lakhs
- Cost of the kidney-pancreas (cadaveric): 8-10 lakhs
- Cost of the kidney-pancreas (live donor): 10-12 lakhs
- Anti-rejection medications: 3-5 lakhs per year
- Post-transplant stay in the hospital: 1-2 lakhs
- Post-transplant tests and investigations: 50,000-1 lakh per year
So as you can see, a kidney transplant price in India is not a cheap procedure by any means. However, it is still cheaper than getting a transplant done in developed countries like the US, UK, or Canada, where the cost can easily run into lakhs of dollars.
If you consider a kidney transplant in India, it is important to do your homework and choose a good hospital with experienced surgeons. Also, make sure that you understand all the costs involved, so there are no surprises later on.
What Are The Risks Associated With A Kidney Transplant?
- Several risks are associated with kidney transplants, including rejection of the transplanted organ, infection, and complications from the surgery itself. Rejection occurs when the body’s immune system attacks the transplanted kidney as if it were a foreign invader.
- This can happen even when the donor’s kidney is perfectly matched to the recipient. Infection is a risk with any surgery, and transplant patients are also at risk for developing infections that are difficult to treat because of the medications they must take to prevent rejection.
- Finally, complications from the surgery can include bleeding, damage to nearby organs, and blood clots.
- Although kidney transplants are generally safe procedures, there are always risks involved. These risks should be discussed with your doctor before you undergo transplant surgery.
What Is The Recovery Time After A Kidney Transplant?
Recovery time after a kidney transplant can vary depending on the individual. However, most people can expect to spend several weeks in the hospital and several months recovering at home.
The average person takes about six months to fully recover from a kidney transplant. Some people may experience complications during their recovery, extending the amount of time it takes to recover.
It is important to follow your doctor’s instructions and attend all follow-up appointments to ensure a smooth and successful recovery.
How To Find The Best Hospital For A Kidney Transplant in India?
When choosing a kidney transplant hospital in India, there are many factors to consider. Some of the important ones include:
- The experience and success rate of the hospital:
It is important to choose a hospital that has performed a large number of successful kidney transplants. This will give you a better chance of success.
- The type of transplantation surgery performed:
Two main types of kidney transplant surgery are cadaveric and living donors.
Cadaveric transplants involve using kidneys from deceased donors while living donor transplants use kidneys from healthy individuals who donate them voluntarily.
- The cost of transplantation surgery:
Kidney transplantation surgery can be quite expensive. Make sure you know the approximate cost of the surgery at the hospital you are considering to plan accordingly.
- The location of the hospital:
It is important to choose a hospital close to your home so that you can easily travel for follow-up appointments and check-ups.
- The availability of post-transplantation care:
Make sure the hospital you choose has a good post-transplantation care program in place to receive the necessary care and support after your surgery.
- The overall reputation of the hospital:
Choose a hospital that has a good reputation in the medical community. This will give you peace of mind knowing that you receive quality care.
- Your research:
It is important to do your research to make sure you are choosing the best hospital for your needs. Read online reviews, talk to other patients who have had transplant surgery, and get as much information as possible before making a decision.
- Consider all of your options:
India has many excellent kidney transplant hospitals. Take the time to consider all of your options before making a final decision.
- Get a second opinion:
Once you have chosen a hospital, it is a good idea to get a second opinion from another doctor. This will help you be sure that you are making the best decision for your care.
- Make your decision:
Once you have considered all of the factors, it is time to make your final decision. Choose the hospital you feel is best for you and your transplant surgery.
When choosing a kidney transplant hospital in India, it is important to consider all of the factors mentioned above. By doing your research and taking your time to decide, you can be sure that you are choosing the best hospital for your needs.
Best Kidney Transplant Hospital in India:
One can find the best kidney transplant hospitals in India metro towns of India. For instance, in north India, the best hospitals of kidney transplant treatment are found in Gurgaon, Faridabad, Delhi, Noida. On the other hand, if you talk about south India and west India, you will find the hospitals in Chennai and Mumbai as well.
Let’s check-out the names of the best kidney transplant hospitals in India. All of these hospitals offer excellent care and have high success rates. Therefore, you can be sure that you will receive the best possible care at these hospitals.
Address: Sector 51, Gurugram, Haryana 122001, India
- The Apollo Hospital in Chennai
Address: 21 Greams Lane, Off Greams Road, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600006, India
- The Fortis Escorts Hospital in Jaipur
Address: Sector 5, Malviya Nagar, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302017, India
- The Global Hospital in Mumbai
Address: 35, Dr. Ernest Borges Rd, opp. Shirodkar High School, Parel East, Parel, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400012, India
Address: Mathura Road, New Delhi, Delhi 110076, India
Best Kidney Transplant Doctors in India
Choosing the right kidney transplant doctor in India can be a daunting task. There are many things to consider when making this decision, and it is important to take your time and do your research before making a final choice. But if you are reading this, you are blessed because we have curated the list of the best kidney transplant doctors in India. Take a look:
- Sandeep Guleria
Hospital: Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals
Address: Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, Sarita Vihar, New Delhi, Delhi
- Rajesh Ahlawat
Hospital: Medanta The Medicity, Delhi NCR
Address: Cyber City DLF, Phase II, Delhi-NCR, India 122002
- Waheed Zaman
Hospital: Max Super Specialty Hospital
Address: C and D Block, Shalimar Bagh, Delhi-NCR, India 110088
- Joseph Thachil
Hospital: Apollo Hospitals, Chennai
Address: No. 21, Greams Lane, Chennai, India 600006
Al Afiya Medi Tour is one of the best medical tourism and healthcare companies in Gurgaon, Delhi NCR, India. Al Afiya Medi Tour offers medical tours from all the countries of the world to India. Some of the main countries are Bangladesh, Iraq, Malawi, Zambia, Namibia, Kenya, Nigeria, and many more. If you are searching for a top medical tourism company in India then Al Afiya Medi Tour is the best India medical tourism company for you. We help you in finding the best hospital and top doctor for the treatments in India. We assist in bone marrow transplant in India, kidney transplant, liver transplant in India, blood cancer treatment, ovarian cancer treatment, breast cancer treatment in India, etc. at affordable cost in India.